News
Blog
May 24, 2024

St. Joh Paul II Cross @ MRH

This week, the 40’ cross built for Pope St. John Paull II The Great’s Philadelphia visit was moved from St. Charles Seminary to its new permanent home at Malvern Retreat House. “We are honored to receive this incredible gift,” noted Michael Norton, President of Malvern Retreat House. Since 1979,[...]

 
May 10, 2024

Malvern Retreat House Honors Mary Throughout May

For Catholics the world over, May has a special meaning as we take time to honor the Blessed Virgin Mary, mother of Jesus Christ.  Malvern Retreat House not only honors Mary, but all women, mothers and families throughout the month of May.  The longstanding tradition of honoring Mary in[...]

 
July 31, 2017

1921

In 1921, John Cabrey and Richard McSorley were tasked with finding a site better suited to the League’s retreats. After viewing more than 100 locations, the two were inspired[...]

 
July 31, 2017

1921

The Laymen’s League’s final retreat at St. Charles Borromeo Seminary was held from September 2-5, 1921. The League spent the next year preparing for their first retreat in Malvern.

 
July 31, 2017

1922

On May 22, 1922, St. Joseph’s Hall, Malvern Retreat House’s first building, was formally dedicated by Cardinal Dougherty. Two weeks later, 33 attendees participated in the first retreat held[...]

 
July 31, 2017

1923

In 1923, Malvern Retreat House, also dubbed St. Joseph’s-in-the-Hills, acquired 50 additional acres of land. This purchase was made possible through a donation from Lowell Gabble and his wife.[...]

 
July 31, 2017

1923

On September 30, 1923, five sisters from the Missionary Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus in Germany came to Malvern to assist retreatants as cooks and housekeepers.[...]

 
July 31, 2017

1924

In 1924, the Men of Malvern Newsletter began fundraising to construct a new dormitory with modern amenities, such as running water. Harry J. Johnson, a retreatant and contractor, was[...]

 
July 31, 2017

1938

In 1938, William Lennox and Matthew McCloskey were tasked with the creation of a new hall that would allow St.-Joseph’s-in-the-Hills to accommodate additional retreatants. They hired John Neeson as[...]

 
July 31, 2017

1939

In 1939, the League purchased 23.5 acres of land, bringing the estate’s total acreage to 131. Six years later, the League further expanded the property by an additional 19[...]

 
July 31, 2017

1941

As America stepped in to World War II, so did many Men of Malvern. Dan Corry attended a retreat on Father’s Day in 1941, and when he returned home,[...]

 
addiction-support family find-us history grief-or-loss marriage mens storiespng testimonial womens young-adulthood healing our-grounds prayers calendar malvern-live retreats2go plan-your-visit donate